Isolation can be horrible for some families, especially the kids, and our volunteer tutoring program is a welcome relief for our farming families! AHVise volunteers are recruits made up of retired teachers, teaching aids, educational assistants and others with appropriate work of life experience

Tutors and Angels volunteer their time to teach students who wouldn’t otherwise have access to a dedicated teaching assistance. As part of the program volunteers are given the option to provide tutoring in person on the family’s property or online. Most tutors however do travel, and they receive a travel cost reimbursement.

Due to the flexible nature of the program volunteers instead incorporate their time with farming families into a larger adventure, using their time on the property as a ‘staycation’ of sorts – a “win win” for everyone involved.

There is no set time for a placement and our response is dependent on the need of each family, however six weeks (or one whole term) is the preferred length of time. AHVISE operates wherever there is help needed, that means any State or Territory, if there is a child or family who needs help with their educational needs, AHVISE will do their best to help out.

General Placement Information

Travel costs can be expensive if you are going to isolated/remote areas. AHVISE provides a travel cost reimbursements of up to $1,500 per placement to cover costs including petrol/diesel, accommodation and other miscellaneous type travel costs.

If you have any queries in relation to travel reimbursements, please contact our AHVISE office between 9am and 2pm Monday to Friday.

To get started today simply complete the Blue Card (or relevant Working With Children check) forms and upload a copy of your Drivers Licence and Bluecard/Police Check, where indicated in the profile dashboard once you have registered as a Volunteer and we will provide you with instant access to our current available list of Placements.

Dear volunteer tutors,
There will be a family out there who would love to receive your help with their kids…

Parents living in remote locations on farms frequently worry that they are not providing enough guidance and support for their children’s education. Some of these parents have limited education themselves therefore they are further compounding their distress, and workloads juggling school rooms, outside chores, mustering and more.

Families welcome the wealth of knowledge and wisdom that is provided to their children by volunteer tutors, as the volunteers share their teaching skills in the families’ classroom either in person on the land, or online.

Our volunteer secondary teachers mainly work with upper primary students who are soon to make the transition to boarding or secondary school.

Because AHVISE is a voluntary based program, we welcome and encourage all potential Volunteers to register with us (on our website) and see if there is a Farming Family who could match up to your travel or volunteer teaching goals.

AHVISE does not “pay” volunteers, however, all volunteers can claim up to $1,500 travel costs per placement as set out in our Terms & Conditions for volunteers. See our FAQ page for more information.

If you would like to spend time a farming family on their land,
anywhere across Australia – or tutor kids online – then we’d love to hear from you!

Dear Angels,

Distance education is more than just assignments and homework!

Sometimes a family needs the help of a non-teacher called an Angel. Angels can assist by helping and supporting the child (or children) and the farming family needs outside of the school room, whether it be helping around the house, in the kitchen, perhaps helping with a younger sibling, or the family through a tough time due to a medical situation.

Often the partners (or spouse) of a Volunteer Tutor becomes an ‘AHVISE Angel’ who can help out on the station as well, which is ideal if they have another special skill like mechanical knowledge, building type skills and/or they enjoy helping out and fixing things. Or maybe they are just a good handyman, or gardener, who just wants to help others.

Whatever your ‘Angel’ skills are, we’d love to hear from you and see if we can find a farming family who could benefit from your help!


Want to get involved?


In all states right across Australia you must have a Working With Children Card for the state you wish to be a volunteer in:
QLD: Blue Card
NSW: Working With Children Check
VIC: Working With Children Check
NT: Working With Children Check
WA: Working With Children Check
TAS: Working With Children Check

To ensure the wellbeing of our families and students all volunteers are required to meet the safety standards set for the state they wish to volunteer in.

Volunteers are generally responsible for their own accommodation to and from placements, however, they can claim up to $1,500 per placement (in total for both volunteer and their partner/spouse) and all and any reimbursement claims MUST come with copies of the receipts the Volunteer is seeking to have reimbursed. This is to keep the system fair.

When Volunteers join, they will have access to our Volunteers Financial Hub which has a simple form to complete and upload your receipts (in JPEG, PNG or PDF format) and request the travel refund. Refunds can take up to 3wks, but we do aim for 2wks or less. Our FULL TRAVEL REFUND FORM can be downloaded HERE

No. Volunteers only need child-work clearance for the States they intend to take placements.

You can choose when you wish to help families in the outback, by providing your preferred dates when you type in your preferences for dates/time of the year you wish to volunteer, on the registration forms on this website.

There is no time limit. Should a family require help to have someone for one full school term, this is okay and worked out with the Coordinator and the family. it is advised that no placement will be under 6 weeks, the reason being one unit/assignment of school work is 2 weeks, that means you are helping that student do 3 units.

Yes. If your partner is helping you in the school room, with sports or anything involved with children they must have a Blue Card too.